Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Squirrel is Open



squirrel in the choir 

I am not here to write. Neither am I here to give you a delectable dish of my stories. I just came here to pass an announcement. An announcement that my blog is open. Open to anyone who feels like sending worthy passion stories.


When I first started writing about squirrels in the choir five months ago, one thing led to the other. I was moved by choir singing. I loved the passion exuded by the St. Paul’s choristers. And I felt that the best way was to join them. Little did I know that choir singing requires training and a good mastery of notes, something that I cannot brag having. 



It is only after joining the choir that I realized that what had drawn me to the group was not the singing but the passion that the choristers had. I therefore felt it prudent that I find something that I am passionate about.

I searched and searched hard. And I finally found my pen, neatly tucked in my shirt’s pocket. I fished it out and started writing. Writing till I was blue in the face.


Writing and writing with passion are two different things. Writing is commercial; you do it for money. Writing with passion on the other hand is a vocation. It glows and haunts you. When you start writing with passion, you become a slave to the pen. When you are not writing, you are thinking about what to write.


I know you wonder why I am wasting your time without regaling you with a tale of giants. Yes, you have been used to me creating stories for you and you scrolling down the page reading them. But today am not here for that. I am here to tell you that you also have a story to tell.


'Squirrel in the choir blog' is a place where we beat stories about our lives in our various passionate ways. Be it in cooking, eating, reading or anything that you are passionate about. That’s why I once wrote about Edith and politics. Because that is what she is passionate in. 


Squirrel in the choir blog has opened new doors and challenges for me. It has made me realize that I count, that I am. The blog, though inanimate has warned and encouraged me. There are times it has intimidated me. All in all, the blog has made me realize most of my weaknesses in life; that I lack resilience, consistency and a go-getter attitude. 


I remember with nostalgia the day I made my first post. The first person to comment on the blog was non other than Njenga Njoroge. Today, thanks God, he is running his own blog at http://njenganjoroge.blogspot.com/  I feel encouraged reading his writing. Because he reminds me that we all start somewhere and have a story to tell.


Writing for you diners has also had me trimmed. I remember this story about homosexuality I posted a few weeks ago. I didn't write it but a friend wrote it. I hosted his writings on this blog. On that very day, a friend of mine sternly warned me about posting controversial matters and selling them to my crowd. I dismissed his warnings. I would not delete the post. But since then, I have not had peace in my mind. So today, I woke up with a start and decide to do away with the post. 



Today, I want to declare 'squirrel in the choir blog' your property. My property. Our property. All you have to do is pitch a story. Tell me of someone passionate in something. Write their story and send it in for editing and posting . I am waiting. Who will be the first? ( Email address is: jnganga22@gmail.com)

4 comments:

  1. awesome move James,smart commentary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamana. People like you make me feel good. And re-energised.

      Delete
  2. Mr James, writing and writing well as you do is a talent. It would be unfair to us (your audience) if you suddenly changed and we hope you don"t since we enjoy every piece you write. Therefore you have to continue for our sake. I am not that good in writing but am willing to learn and that what matters. Thanks buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Njenga. I will keep writing. I like that bit, where you say that you are willing to learn and that's what matters. Very true man.

      Delete